→ Peruse the News Archives(Written 23 May 2007)
Banff Hot Springs, 1900
Leisure projects has safely arrived at the Banff Centre for the Arts, Alberta. During our first week we have enjoyed on site research including scenic canoe paddling and historic-suit clad floats in local hot springs.
“Canada’s first national park, the Banff Hot Springs Reserve, was established in 1885. The reserve covered 26 km² (10 mi²) around the hot springs located on Sulphur Mountain. The hot springs were “discovered” in 1883 by three railway workers in what is now the Cave & Basin National Historic Site. In reference to the potential of the hot springs, the Prime Minister of Canada, Sir John A. Macdonald, stated “These springs will recuperate the patient and recoup the treasury.”
In 1887 the park was renamed the Rocky Mountains Park and expanded to 673 km² (260 mi²). The park grew in 1902 to encompass Kananaskis Lake, Lake Louise, and the area around today’s town of Canmore. In 1930 the boundary of the park was reduced to 6641 km² (2564 mi²). The area is now called “Banff National Park”. -source: The Canadian Rockies.com